Custom Search
Didn't find what you were looking for? Our custom google search will target family related sites.

Tuesday, January 29

Food for Thought

Have you ever wondered how to get your kids to eat healthy? Here is the quick tip of the day: If you want them to eat healthy, you have to eat healthy.

I was at one time a raw foodist and I still have a few favorite recipes that I like to whip up now and again. These are definitely not your traditional fare. But my kids want to eat whatever I am eating. They don't care that no other kid on the block is eating raw tabouli salad for lunch. What they care about is that mommy is eating raw tabouli salad - and they want it.

There are some things that they might try and decide they don't want. But usually if they see me eating it on a regular basis, they try it again because, gosh darn it.... they want what I have!

Sure my kids like to eat chicken nuggets and french fries. But when they beg for fruit, eat green salads, raw nuts and whole wheat pasta on a regular basis, do you think I worry about the occasional junk food? Nope.

That is the unfortunate truth of it...if you want your kids to eat healthy, then it starts with you.

And since I mentioned it, here is the recipe for raw tabouli that I make...yummy and chock full of nutrition.

In a food processor chop several green onions, about 1/2 bunch of parsley, and 1/2 bunch of cilantro. Mix in a handful of chopped raw almonds and 1 large chopped tomato. Mash a ripe avocado with the juice of 1/2 small lemon, a drizzle of EVOO, and a little honey. (optional) Stir the avocado dressing into the salad and chow down!

1 comment:

C said...

That's a great post! I only keep healthy things in the house, so that the choices are already great. Even our "treats" will be made with whole wheat flour and honey - instead of sugar.

I knew I was doing well when I heard my son declare one day, "Oh darn! We're out of wheat germ. I wanted some on my applesauce!"