Custom Search
Didn't find what you were looking for? Our custom google search will target family related sites.

Sunday, December 16

It's Almost Christmas!

Here we are, the eve of another week. But not just another week - one week before Christmas. Isn't it unbelievable how the time goes so quickly? I am not going to be making "The Daily Grind" posts during Christmas week. We have family coming in to visit and I will be busier than ever. But you can always pull out some old favorites for activities if you don't have enough to keep your kids entertained. My guess is though, that keeping your kids entertained next week is not going to be an issue!


Craft Time: Gumdrop Wreath. I don't have a picture for this one because it is actually a craft I plan on doing with my kids next week when their cousin is here. I found out about this on another site last year, and loved it. The site is no longer actively posting but their archive is still up and available. Check it out at kiddley.com. You will have to scroll down as it is near the bottom of the page. Here is how I made it:



Supplies:
styrofoam wreath
gumdrops
toothpicks
yarn (for hanging - you could also use fishing line, pipe cleaner, etc.)
ribbon for a bow


I make a much smaller version than the one on kiddley. This year I went to Dollar Tree and found small styrofoam circles in the floral accessories section. I will cut the centers out to make them into wreaths. I'm guessing it is about 5" diameter. I also got bags of gumdrops from the Dollar Tree. The rest is pretty simple. Cut the toothpicks in half. Poke the cut side of the toothpick into a gumdrop then stick the other end into the wreath. I only cover the front and sides with gumdrops so that it lays nicely against a wall, cabinet, etc., when it is hung. My daughter and I did this together last year when she was a month shy of being two years old and she had a great time with it. I expect she will be able to do it without my assistance this year. (other than I will pre-cut the toothpicks :)


Story Time: Keep reading Christmas stories. :)


Art Time: Keep it simple today. Have the kids do some Christmas coloring sheets.


Indoor Time: Indoor basketball. Get a laundry basket and set it up on a chair or your sofa. Now teach your kids how to shoot baskets with a big plastic ball. Note: obviously, don't do this where there are breakables! Make sure you have a kid safe zone where you play this game.


Music Time: Teach your kids your favorite Christmas carol.


Outdoor Time: Play red light, green light. You be the stoplight first so that your kids get the hang of it. The basic rules are as follows: The stoplight has their back to the players and calls out "green light." Then the stoplight calls out "red light" and turns around. All the players are supposed to freeze at red light. If they are seen moving then they have to go back to the starting line. The first one to reach the stoplight gets to be the stoplight next. (just take turns, obviously, if you only have one kid) With real young kids, don't expect a complete freeze - if they can just figure out not to keep running during the red light, then they are doing great!

No comments: